Suggestions for Making Presentations to TMAPC and Boards of Adjustment

• Remember to give your name and address before you begin. This is important not only for the Tulsa Metropolitan Area Planning Commission (TMAPC) and Boards of Adjustment (BOA) records, but enables staff to contact you again if need be.

• Make your presentation brief and to the point. If there are many speakers, you may be limited to three or five minutes at the discretion of the commission/board. The Planning Commission/BOA looks at each application on a case-by-case basis. They are hesitant to grant more time to speakers if the same point is being made by several speakers, or the issues being put forth are outside of the their jurisdiction. It is important that your point be made early in your presentation. Making notes often helps speakers to stay on the subject.

• Choose one speaker to represent the entire group. If you are part of a larger group, such as a neighborhood or a homeowners’ association, and several people from that group wish to speak, one of two approaches seems to work best. Choose one representative to raise the various issues you wish to raise (if presentation time limits are set, the representatives of the association may ask to cede their allotments to the speaker) or divide the topics to be presented among those who wish to present.

• Stay focused in your presentation. The Planning Commission/BOA is interested in public input. That input should be focused on issues the Planning Commission/BOA can effectively address and what they are charged with statutorily. The following issues, while important to both property owners and developers, are NOT issues they typically can address. If you bring these up during your presentation, you will likely be told that the TMAPC/BOA is not the appropriate venue.

Stormwater management: The proper entity to address this is the City of Tulsa Development Services Department or the Tulsa County Engineer. Stormwater issues are also addressed during the platting process at the Technical Advisory Committee meetings.

Provision of electrical/gas services: These are private utilities in Tulsa and the TMAPC has no authority over them.

Code violations: In the City of Tulsa these issues are addressed through the Neighborhood Inspections Department and can be reported through the Mayor’s Action Center. Contact Tulsa County Inspections for violations in unincorporated areas of the county.

Water taps: These issues should be addressed to the entity potentially supplying the water service. In the City of Tulsa contact the Public Works Department. In Tulsa county, this will likely be a nearby municipality or a Rural Water District.

• Do not repeat what previous presenters have said. It is important that the TMAPC/BOA receive any new information you wish to share, if time is limited, it is wasting time if you simply restate what others have said. Any information related once becomes part of the official records.

If you wish to present a petition or letters to support your position, be prepared to submit these for the record. Please make copies for yourself or your organization prior to submission.

Exhibits should be no larger than
8 1/2” by 11” in size.

If you cannot attend the TMAPC or BOA meeting but wish to make your position known, a letter or e-mail will be given as much weight as a personal appearance. So that staff can make copies available to the board members prior to the meeting, comments should be received the Thursday prior to the TMAPC or BOA meeting. At the very latest, please see that staff gets a copy the morning of the meeting. Please send comments to the following addresses:

TMAPC Recording Secretary
2 West Second Street, Suite 800
Tulsa, OK 74103
Phone: 918.584.7526 Fax: 918.583.1024

City of Tulsa and Tulsa County
Boards of Adjustment Recording Secretary
2 West Second Street, Suite 800
Tulsa, OK 74103
Phone: 918.584.7526 Fax: 918.583.1024


Click here for a .PDF version of the brochure
"Suggestions for Making Presentations to TMAPC and Boards of Adjustment"

This version of the document requires Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not already have the reader installed on your computer, click the icon below to download the free software.